Best Pillow for Neck Pain: Ultimate Guide
There is nothing worse than waking up first thing in the morning with a stiff neck, except of course when you have neck pain, finding the best pillow for neck pain can be a rather hefty task. Studies show that an average of 30% of the global population struggles to find relief from neck pain. When you struggle with stiffness and neck pain, it makes it harder to feel optimistic about the day ahead of you.
Best Pillow for Neck Pain Reviews 2018: Ultimate Guide
Finding a pillow will have a major impact on your positivity levels and perhaps even your lifestyle. I mean we all love a good night’s rest. If you struggle with any kind of pain or stiffness through your neck to your shoulders, fear not. In this article, we have listed some of the best pillows, as well as things to consider when deciding on the perfect pillow for yourself. We have also extensively listed the top 10 pillows in 2017. By the end of this article, if you haven’t already decided on the pillow you need, you will undoubtedly have the confidence and knowledge to find it.
Although it seems absurd to think something as simple as a pillow could cause pain or discomfort just because it doesn’t suit you, however, studies show that pillows are an extensive cause of neck pain mainly due to a bad posture while sleeping, without listing all the complicated biological names. It is important to keep your spine and ligaments tension free, the spine should be straight for a good sleeping posture this will reduce if not remove neck pain and stiffness first thing in the morning.
What’s the best pillow for me and how will it help reduce pain and stiffness?
The first step to finding the perfect pillow for a good night’s rest is to consider your sleeping style, we all have a specific way that we prefer to fall asleep. There are 3 main categories that these “habits” can fall in namely:
- Sleeping on your back.
- Sleeping on your stomach
- Sleeping on your side
If it seems that you only have a rough idea of your preferred way to sleep, spend a few nights with the thought in mind just before you go to sleep. In general, the sleeping style will be easily distinguishable by the way that you fall asleep majority of the time. For example, if you find that you are most comfortable laying on your side and when you fall asleep it is generally on your side, this would mean you are a side sleeper.
See more: How to Sleep 8 Hours In 4 Hours
For primary back sleepers
When you sleep on your back, you want to find a pillow, medium in size. It shouldn’t be too thick, this would result in your head being positioned higher than the rest of your body. The pillow, however, should not be too thin either as this would result in your head simply sinking to mattress level. The best pillow would be one that is firm for support at the bottom and of medium length so as to ensure that your head is still aligned with your neck and the rest of your body. See picture below for an example.
The bottom piece is firmer for support of the neck, the middle is slightly lower than the rest of the pillow so as to cradle your head for maximum comfort, for the larger necks the pillow can be rotated so as to use the top for neck support which is also firm, the sides acting as barriers and head support.
For stomach sleepers
As a stomach sleeper, the best pillow to ensure comfort tied with good comfort will be a reasonably flat pillow it should be soft. Sometimes you may not even need a pillow at all. However, having a soft pillow can help to ensure that there is no tension through the neck down the spine. Thus minimizing the chance of neck pain, back pain, and general stiffness.
Although fairly simple, just to describe how this pillow is used. The middle is for head support with open areas to lessen the pressure as well as to allow equal distribution of size increase if you are one who prefers lying with one hand underneath the pillow.
For side sleepers
It is a good idea to look for a medium – firm pillow to support the space between your neck and mattress when you lie down, it is also recommended to use a pillow between your knees as it will help improve the spinal alignment.
Although not a usual pillow, pillows like these are perfect for side sleepers. The top curve will be the support for your head while the bottom curl can be placed between your knees. These, however, are not necessarily normal pillows can be just as effective.
If you are still unsure, here is a video that explains what you should be looking for when choosing your pillow.
Different materials to consider
Now that you know what the best type of pillow is for your form while you sleep, next is to consider which filling you would most prefer to use. There are many various guises, however, we want to bring you the best types that are most commonly used along with the pros and cons of each type!
The first two things to consider before choosing the material you want is:
- Consider any medical issues, some pillows are better for those with chronic neck pain. Some pillows may help more with those that suffer from neck pain and headaches and so forth. Also, consider allergies.
- Consider the cost – some material can be more expensive due to the quality of the material.
Down or feather pillow
Generally, these pillows make use of feathers from duck, geese. One can order a specific filling. Thereby able to control the firmness. Generally, the more firm pillows are for side sleepers, where the less firm are recommended for back and stomach sleepers. Things to keep in mind:
- Not commonly known, there is a difference between down and feather pillows. A down pillow is generally softer and is generally located under the harder feathers, which leads to a feather pillow. This will be harder.
- Due to being manufactured from a natural material, these remain rather durable and reportedly can last up to 10 years.
Wool or Cotton pillow
These materials are great if you suffer from allergies, as these are resilient to that of dust mites and mold – it is hypoallergenic. These are known to be more firm then soft therefore are more suitable for side sleepers. However, it is possible to find a very thin version of this pillow type.
These are known to be characteristically more elastic as well as resilient as they are made from the sap from rubber trees. Good for those with allergies as they are resilient to mold. The best of all these pillows can literally remember you! This means that while you’re sleeping the pillow forms to shape your head and neck. These come in all shapes and sizes thus making them viable for all three categories of sleepers. Although they can be more expensive than the other materials available.
These are most likely the best pillows you can get for yourself. Made of Polyurethane, after which it then combines with additional chemicals. The great thing is these come in all shapes and sizes, including an S shape which is perfect for side sleepers, even better for side sleepers who suffer from neck pain or shoulder pain.
They last long, also molding to the shape of your head and neck, thus providing the best support for your neck, head, and shoulders. However, as with all brilliant things, there are a few downfalls including:
- This material doesn’t “breathe”, this can cause hotness while sleeping.
- If you are an active sleeper, constantly move around a lot – these may not be the most comfortable as they take times to mold into different shapes.
- A new memory foam pillow may have a peculiar smell, however, this will go away within a short period of time.
If none of these seem appealing, or you need a more “involved” pillow. There are certain kinds of pillows called Specialty pillows, here’s a list of some of the choices you have:
- Cervical pillow – These have an extra layer of firmness in the lower part of the pillow so as to provide more support to the neck. They come in various shapes and materials.
- Water Pillows – Highly recommended from Chiropractors as well as a few physical therapists. These are recommended mainly due to the fact that these pillows use water, so you can customize it to your personal needed density and support.
- Cool Pillows – Are you susceptible to night sweats or hot flashes? These may be your solution. These pillows are filled with tiny beads that absorb heat from your head leaving the section where your head is positioned cool and dry.
What to consider before purchasing a pillow
It is important to read up on the pillow you are considering, certainly so if it is a rather expensive pillow you are investing in. Reading reviews is a good way to go about doing this.
The price tag is nowhere near to an indicator on whether a certain pillow is better or worse for you. Often the perfect pillow can be found without having to rob a bank account.
Although it may seem foolish, we promise that it is far from it. Test out the pillow before you buy it. If there is a mattress lay down for a minute or two so as to get a feel of the pillow, this will help you to determine if it is the right pillow for you.
Not commonly known, your pillows should be washed a total of twice every year and no this doesn’t only extend to the pillowcases. This includes the pillows themselves, can you believe it?
Depending on the pillow type, there is a possibility that your pillow is harboring not only dust mites and bacteria but also dead skin cells.
Step by step guide on how to wash your pillow:
- Remove covers and pillow protectors.
- Combine hot water with a mild detergent such as bleach or dishwasher liquid.
- Next the tricky part:
- If you have a top loader washing machine – add your mix of cleaning solution and water, ensure it all mixes together properly before adding the pillows in. Once you have added the pillows in let them soak for an hour or two. Turn the pillow horizontal and flip over every half an hour so as to clean the entire pillow.
- If you have a front loader washing machine – Add both pillows and water mix into a large basin, letting it soak for an hour or two before putting it back into the washing machine.
- Once the pillows are done soaking, run them through a full cycle so to ensure a thorough cleaning, it is advised to run the cycle twice so as to ensure that they are not retaining any water.
Next step – drying out the pillows
- Check the label to ensure that they can go in the dryer.
- Set the dryer heat to low and add two tennis balls that have been kept in clean socks. The tennis balls will separate the wet fluff so as to ensure it dries efficiently whereas the clean socks will prevent an uncomfortable tennis ball smell.
- Check every 30 – 45 minutes to ensure that your pillow is getting thoroughly dried, Note: if this is not properly done. There is a chance that mold can form in your pillow.
- If your pillows are not dryer friendly, simply hang them out to dry. This may take longer but it’s better than them being melted to a puddle of goo
Top 10 pillows on the market 2018:
1. Coop Home Goods Shredded Memory Foam Pillow with Bamboo Cover
It seems to be another night, you simply cannot find the right position to fall asleep to, and frustrating you, even more, is every time you do move it seems you’re even-more-uncomfortable. Wishing there was a way to easily find comfort. Coop home goods have worked relentlessly to bring this shredded memory foam pillow to the market, for just that purpose. Read Full: Coop Home Goods Pillow Review
2. Sleep Innovations Contour Memory Foam Pillow
Tossing and turning, it’s a nightmare. You are constantly searching for that elusive posture, that method required to be comfortable enough to fall asleep, yet still avoid the stiffness and neck pain that you may perhaps experience. Sleep Innovations Contour memory foam pillow may indeed help you in your search.
3. Mediflow Original Waterbase Pillow
Are you one of those people, who consider a good night of sleep is almost similar to that of a Christmas miracle? Rare and few, with the occasion more often than not arising where you are startled awake through neck pain or stiffness Mediflow original water base pillow is what you need to get a miracle, every night!
4. Travelrest – The Ultimate Travel Pillow
Do you often travel, using transport such as plains, buses or trains? If so then you will surely know the struggle of falling asleep and the neck pain and stiffness that accompanies it. Not only does it leave an uncomfortable and restless sleeping experience. Consistently doing this may end up causing serious damage to your neck ligaments. Travelrest has taken travelers into account and provided The Ultimate Travel Pillow to help deal with these pressing struggles.
5. Classic Brands Conforma Memory Foam Pillow
Are you a sleeper, who has no universal sleeping method, this means that you sleep on perhaps your back and then your side every night, or something similar to that. This would make finding the right adaptable pillow may not be an easy task. However, without the right pillow, you’re finding difficulty in a good night’s rest. Classic Brands Conforma Memory pillow is the pillow you need, let’s examine why.
6. Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow Combination
You are trying to get some sleep, however, the more you try the harder it gets. Eventually, you manage to doze off just to be awakened by neck pain an hour later. This cycle of lack of sleep is creating a hazard in your life. You need a solution, well the great news is Snuggle Pedic has designed this Ultra Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam pillow so as to specifically help you rest and get a night of quality sleep.
7. Lumbar Support Pillow
Do you find yourself in a car often struggling with back pain, or perhaps at work in that uncomfortable office chair, it suddenly spikes leaving you unable to concentrate on the tasks that need to be done? Lumbar has come out with a brilliantly designed support pillow which will aid you in your struggles.
8. CozyCloud Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow, Queen
CozyCloud Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow was designed specifically in mind for those that struggle with night sleep due to pain in the normal regions such as the neck, head or shoulders. This product is highly recommended from chiropractors due to the support that it provides. Let’s look how!
9. Chiroflow Premium Water Pillow
Do you struggle to find a pillow that is just right for you? The pillows you have are too thin, to firm, to thick and so forth. Chiroflow has manufactured a product that gives you not only the ability to customize the product for the desired density but also to control the firmness of the pillow let’s have a look how.
10. Bru Joy Travel Pillow
Do you find dozing off whilst traveling comes easily to you, however, almost every time that you do, you regret it as your head either flops to the side or falls forward? Causing incredible neck pain when you wake up and providing low-quality sleep Bru Joy Travel Pillow may just be the solution for that.
This pillow is perfect for both children and travelers alike, with a quick and simple method to inflate and put to use. This product provides the support that your neck needs at the convenience that you need! A great investment for those on the road often.
These products help provide a more stable support for your spine while you rest. If you are on the search for that night of sleep without a rude awakening finding a good pillow is a vital investment you need to make as it will have a viable impact on your quality of sleep. Over time it may even prevent pain and stiffness completely – sounds amazing right.